If you are interested in registering multiple spots, then please contact us for assistance.
IMSE Phonological Awareness and Beginning Orton-Gillingham Training (12 Hours) - Attend this training Virtually using Zoom
An essential session that focuses on phonological awareness, the most important reading readiness skill for young children as well as the beginning strategies for IMSE’s Orton-Gillingham approach. After participating in this multi-sensory training, teachers will be able to implement phonemic awareness activities and basic practices of beginning reading. This training is available for on-site staff development. This course is applicable for all three tiers of RTI.
This course is appropriate for:
- Pre-K - K General Education
- Special Education and other programs (whose students need very basic literacy skills including phonological awareness)
Teachers will learn:
- Current research and the importance of phonological awareness
- Format, goal and rationale of sequential activities
- Phonological stage activities for phonemic awareness
- The basics of IMSE’s enhanced approach to Orton-Gillingham instruction
- Guidelines for lessons in reading readiness
- Student assessment
- IMSE Phonological Awareness Manual
- Phonological Awareness: Assessment Tools & Strategies by Zgonc
- IMSE Capital Alphabet Card Pack
- IMSE Phonological Awareness Card Pack
Materials you will need:
- Computer with a camera and sound (an iPhone/iPad or similar devices are not recommended)
- Red and green crayon
- 3-4 highlighters
- Sticky notes
- tokens (plastic chips, m&ms, coins, etc)
Notes for Virtual Trainings:
- IMPORTANT: Virtual trainings are run via ZOOM. You must create a ZOOM account with the email you used to register in order to access your training. You will receive an email with important information from your instructor on Friday before your training begins. If you do not receive it, please check your spam. Please follow the directions in order to avoid a late start on the first day of training.
- If you are using a Chromebook, you must get the app for Chromebook in order to participate in polls and break out rooms. If you aren’t able to participate, you may be required to submit additional homework. If you do not have administrative access to download apps on your Chromebook, you may want to discuss with your school’s IT prior to the meeting. Here is a link: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/213298746-Getting-Started-On-Chrome-OS. Using Chromebook for ZOOM is not ideal, but manageable.
- Training supplies are the same as our in-person courses and will be mailed directly to you. It is important that your home address is submitted.
- There will be opportunities for questions with your instructor and opportunities for you to do partner work with others in the class via FaceTime, Google Hangouts, etc.
- IMSE is keeping Virtual Training class sizes small (around 30 people or less), so participants will be able to form connections with the instructor and other participants
- Since there will not be an opportunity to practice face-to-face, you will be required to submit a short 10-minute video of yourself practicing what you learned each day.
On-line registration options include:
Pay by credit card will confirm your registration.
Pay by check/purchase order options are available, and will hold your seat to allow time for processing. Registrations are not confirmed until the payment or purchase order is received.
If you cancel prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $50 cancellation fee. If you cancel 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $100 fee.
For Virtual trainings, if you cancel your training after receiving your materials, IMSE is happy to refund your registration fee, less the costs of shipping, after we receive all of the returned materials.
There is no fee for transferring your registration to another training if you transfer before 14 days prior to a training. If you transfer your training 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $100 fee.
If a participant needs to make up more than one day of training, there will be a $100 charge.
The Institute for Multi-Sensory Education reserves the right to cancel. If IMSE must cancel, 100% of the training fee will be refunded.
Participants book travel (flight, hotel, car, etc.) at their own risk.
For more information on this course, please contact us:
Institute for Multi-Sensory Education
24800 Denso Drive
Southfield, MI 48033